Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Day 3 Picture Writing With Ed Kanze

After a special presentation about the seasons in the Adirondacks, Ed Kanze took us outside the classroom to complete a writing activity called "Picture Writing". For this writing activity you find a place to sit and you use your senses to write about what is going on around you. I wrote the following with five minutes time sitting on the ground, leaning on a tree stump...

The sun, a bright orange glowing ball, shines through the evergreen trees while making its slow decent. The light sparkles and glistens off the gently rippling lake. A soft breeze bounces the branches of the trees and the grasses sway. I feel the cool air brush my hair against my cheek. A song bird sings its song in the background while the hum of a motor boat drones on...

This is a great writing activity to get the students in my class writing with more detail. I have done similar activities in school asking students to use their senses to describe what is going on around them. The key is to paint a picture with your words by being as descriptive as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment